St. Helene Island (Santa Helena)

EXPLORE St. HELENE ISLAND
SUMMARY: Santa Helena is adjacent to Roatan, on its eastern tip. The easternmost point of Roatan Island is comprised of large mangrove forest which bridges Roatan to Santa Helena Island. From the air, Santa Helena and Roatan appear to be one contiguous island. But, in fact, these are two separate islands. There are several canals through the mangrove forest which connect the northern and southern shores of Roatan and Santa Helena. Some of the most interesting mangrove tunnels are located between the island of Roatan and the island of Santa Helena.

• What is the best way to get to St. Helene?
  • How much time does it take to get to St. Helene?
  • What are the largest Communities or villages in St. Helene?
  • Are there Resorts or Hotels on St. Helene?
  • Are there Dive Operators on St. Helene?
  • What are some of the most popular activities on St. Helene?
  • Are there Sandy Beaches on St. Helene?
  • Is it better to visit the northern coastline or the southern coastline of St. Helene?
  • Who offers the best Mangrove Tour in St. Helene?
4 Likes

I usually travel eastbound past Punta Gorda, onto the dirt road and I take it all the way to Port Royal. From there I hope on a boat transfer to St. Helene.

1 Like
  • What is the best way to get to St. Helene?
    Unfortunately, that is a problem right now. Roatanā€™s East End / St.Helene Passenger Ferry Tours has temporarily suspended services until a smaller more economical boat can be acquired. Other than that, private charters from Oak Ridge are the only way for the time being unless you plan on overnighting in St. Helene, then you can take the afternoon ferry and return on another morning run.

• How much time does it take to get to St. Helene?
    Depending on the boat and sea conditions, it will take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. The distance between Oak Ridge and Helene is approx. 12 miles.

• What are the largest Communities or villages in St. Helene?
    Just one small island with several small communities stretched along the southern shoreline to the Northside.

• Are there Resorts or Hotels on St. Helene?
    There are no resorts at the present time in Helene. There is one small hotel that is not operational at this time. However, there are a few very comfortable gringo homes available for short or long term rentals.

• Are there Dive Operators on St. Helene?
    No dive operations at this present time.

• What are some of the most popular activities on St. Helene?
    Exploring the more than 100 caves is the most popular activity. Enjoying the ā€˜Old Caribbeanā€™ lifestyle and culture is also a great experience. You must know that there is no commercial electricity or running water available during presently but this is all changing. Also, there is only walking roads, no vehicles except for motorscooters and 1 moto-taxi available for tours. https://www.facebook.com/St-Helene-Transportation-Services-119842701997445/notifications/

• Are there Sandy Beaches on St. Helene?
    Secluded deserted beaches surround Helene. Helene has some of the most beautiful beaches in all the Bay Islands and most likely you will never see a footprint in the sand.

• Is it better to visit the northern coastline or the southern coastline of St. Helene?
    The southern shore is the most populated with the best restaurants/bars.

• Who offers the best Mangrove Tour in St. Helene?
    Virtually most everyone has a boat since we are a remotely secluded island. You can negotiate any type of boat/water tour that tickles your fancy.

Spending time in Santa Elena is like spending time in the Caribbean as it was 100 years ago. Itā€™s extremely unique and an experience of a lifetime.

5 Likes

best way is to contact a local from Helene.
want a boat ride to Helene, you could link me up we have a panga with a 200hp can take up to like 20 to 15 people at the time and if it just like 2 or 4 person we can take them in a 40hp boat just make us know.pick up dock in oakridge number,whatsapp 31-99-73-76 our website will be available soon now, saint Helene roatan east end. with tour activities to offerā€¦

3 Likes

the Indians cave is the most popular activities in Helene. this tour is also available on our site

7 Likes

This is the first climps Iā€™ve seen of the cave. How far back does it go? Is there a ā€œknown trailā€ to get to it? Does the tour take you into the cave?

1 Like

Well there is more then just 1 cave some caves are far back on the island and some are closer out front. like a 15 minute walk from our dockā€¦

Yes you does get to go inside and see what it looks like.with a local taking flashlight. Bcuz it pretty dark insideā€¦

6 Likes

ST. HELENE ARTICLE:
We have taken excepts from this and other resources to put together an overview of St. Helene, or ā€œHeleneā€ as the locals call it. You can access the article by clicking the link below. Please let me know if there are any improvement or corrections worth making.

COLLABORATORS:
Q&A: B.T. Blackwell
CONTENT: Matthew Harper
EDITS: Emilio F. Castillo

2 Likes

Are these caves on Private property? or are they on some public land?

2 Likes

Yes these caves is on private property, so you only could visit them with a local that have permission from the owner. We do the tour bcuz we have permission already but not from all of them there is so many cavesā€¦ So if you want to pay a visit anytime to these caves make us knowā€¦

3 Likes

I would like to add a question about the water supply: Is this well fed? Is there an aquifer with fresh water able to sustain a home?

1 Like

Thank you for taking a moment to respond to the questions above. What are the popular names of the villages? in other words, when a tourist sets off from Oakridge what town should he ask to be taken too? When the Ferry is in circulation, what are the two towns where the ferry runs between?

4 Likes

Lewis, please contact me at 8767-9920 ASAP. I have some jobs for you if the price is reasonable.

2 Likes

@DeepThinker , 3 wells are presently being drilled, Well purifiers installed and lines being laid. After almost 500 years of settling Helene, potable water will finally be available by hopefully the end of the year. So yes, there will be clean purified water able to sustain a home in the not too distant future. Electricity is also be brought in as well. Helene will FINALLY become a part of civilization ā€¦ although admittedly, I will miss the ā€˜Old Caribbeanā€™ flavor of ā€˜Roughing itā€™.

5 Likes

@nitrox I would suggest landing at the Bentley Bay dock when you first come into Helene channel. Then you will be able to tour the whole island from one end to the other. You could have your boat driver pick you up in Mangro Bight so you donā€™t have to back track to Bentley Bay.

4 Likes

Thank you @CaribbeanCowboy - what progress. These sort of infrastructure changes will sure draw the attention of early adaptors. And while it sounds like change is happening, you still have time to enjoy the ā€œole Caribbeanā€ fibe for a few more years!

2 Likes

I am told that finding small land parcels is difficult in Helene?..that most properties are large plots of land? - This might be one reason why the area has remained undevelopedā€¦

4 Likes

ReefObserver, this concern is false. There are small tracts of land available throughout Helene.

4 Likes

Thank you @CaribbeanCowboy - very helpful.

2 Likes

@CaribbeanCowboy Are there enough comps to ascertain what one could expect to pay for an acre of land? Or do prices run all over the place?

2 Likes