Mangroves in Roatan

On these islands, you will find four types of Mangroves, Black Mangrove, White Mangrove, Red Mangrove and Button Wood. Mangrove forest provides a vital service by protecting the coast from hurricane and storm damage. They stabilize the shoreline and trap river sediments, preventing the mud from being deposited on the coral reefs.

Mangrove leaves, nectar, and fruit, feed a variety of animals above the water, Decomposing leaves in the water feed an entirely different ecosystem. Mangroves serve as important nursery grounds for many marine animals, including valuable species like bonefish, snappers, lobsters, conchs, and shrimps.

These trees have the ability to survive in the salty inter-tidal area by the seacoast. Red mangroves colonize the seaward fringe. These give way to the muddy zone of Black mangroves and eventually stretch to the land where White mangroves and Button wood dominate.

They have developed remarkable strategies to deal with their hostile environment. How do they cope with salt water, when they depend on fresh water for their survival? Some mangroves have mechanisms for concentrating the salt into their sap. Others remove the salt and store it in old leaves which are ready to fall. Still, others actively secrete salt through glands on their leaves or roots.

Roatan Wild Creek Tours offers this great experience enjoying the mangroves canals & a variety of birds; please visit our packages section (Mangrove Tunnels Tours) for more details.

Video of the Mangrove Canal Tour
Mangrove Tour Video

Need more information?
Need more detailed information? Don’t hesitate to contact our tourism team at roatanwildcreek@gmail.com. We will be very happy to provide more information about this wonderful island.

We are looking forward to meeting you soon in beautiful Roatan island!

3 Likes

That’s a really interesting article. I knew Mangrove Forests were amazing but I didn’t realize the important role they played in protecting the coast. I have toured mangrove forests in Honduras (near La Ceiba) and in Costa Rica but the water in your video was so much clearer than the other two locations I toured. It’s beautiful! Is that a bridge or walkway going through the water toward the end of your video?

4 Likes

I second these words, spot on. The mangroves are an amazing plant and their benefit extends well beyond the words in this article. You must take a tour to get the full picture.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking a few minutes to write this informative piece. Do you know if there are restrictions for developers looking to develop a piece of land with Mangroves on it?
@Larry32roatan
@roatanwildcreektours

3 Likes

Hello @LadyDanger

Thanks for the feedback and for sharing your experience with the mangrove forests here in Honduras and also Costa Rica. Yes, is a walkway between houses in the community of Jones Ville Point.

Have a nice day,
Best Regards.

2 Likes

Hello @RoatanOnline

Yes, there are restrictions base in natural resources conservation, more information on this would be provided by the authorities of the municipality.

Have a nice day,
Best Regards.

4 Likes

The national government process, (SERNA), can take a while to accomplish depending on the location and scope of the project. There are more restrictions and process involved when you are doing something on the water. I have seen several developers who did not hire the proper experienced people from the start which ended up to be far more dollars and a longer timeline. Getting the proper people involved from the start would be my advise. People who know the SERNA people, who have worked with them will pay off in the long run even if the upfront money will be more. Doing in right the first time is far more sensible. One of my favorite sayings since I have been here, (18 years now), is “Here is not There”, (no matter where there was).

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Roatan Mangroves