Is Roatan open for travel?

Trying to get information on when Roatan is going to be accepting visitors again. Also if there are going to be any conditions to entry. Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hello @Chris,

We received word this week from Central Government stating the following:

• On Monday, June 8th Honduras will open internally.
  • On Wednesday, July 15th Honduras will open it’s airports and borders to international travel.

I hope this helps.

It does! Many thanks.

1 Like

it’s not a given that Roatan will open borders for flights or cruises on July 15th date. That is b being discussed but not approved by the Central Govt. Dino stated it was under discussion. So at this time we are closed done for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification Carol. I was not rushing to book a flight just yet. I have been in touch with the Honduran Embassy here in Ottawa, but they were unable to give a clear indication as to what was happening. That is why I reached out here. I figured that “locals” might be more in the loop.

We are very much looking forward to the next trip to Roatan. Gelato in Half Moon Bay is top of my agenda.

1 Like

I have heard dates like August 15th for international arrivals, but that is little more than rumor and is as dependable as the weather.

1 Like

Any information you get that you can pass on will be appreciated. Thank you.

1 Like

Please update on this as I wish to do Snorkelling.

1 Like

From what I am reading the airport is open. I know Anthonys Key is open as they emailed me to tell me. I do not have any other information about what is open or how things are operating. No direct flights from Canada yet, we are looking at a November visit

1 Like

Roatan is currently accepting visitors. AA has had 2 flights in the last 2 weeks. United will return in Oct. Delta is up in the air, excuse the pun. You MUST have a Covid test administered no more than 72 hours from the time you board your flight in the US. You must have the printed results and must do an online precheck form. Both documents must be with you at the check in counter in printed form no digital. Once here no restrictions.

1 Like

Hello @Chris @Saziya
Honduras opened its international airports on August 17th. The island of Roatán is prepared to receive foreign and national tourists as long as each person adheres to the biosafety regulations and requirements provided. Several places have been preparing for the opening of the island and some hotels are open to the public, which have been evaluated and accepted by the government authorities. Juan Manuel Gálvez International Airport, in the city of Roatán, open from Monday to Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

For purposes of mobilization to and from the airports, you must carry your flight ticket either in digital or physical form, which will be valid exceptionally for travelers, including Saturdays. Is strictly prohibited the circulation and entry to the airports of any person who is not a passenger, with the exception of the companion of the elderly passengers, people with limited mobility and minors traveling alone, whose
parents must complete the respective procedure.

To ensure the effectiveness of the biosecurity procedures implemented in
air transport, an expedited procedure has been established that implies new requirements in addition to the requirements for entering/leaving the country determined in the Immigration Law, which is:
a) Complete the information at https://prechequeo.inm.gob.hn of:

• Make your immigration pre-check

b)passengers must present a negative result of the Polymerase Chain Reaction Test (PCR) in the real-time or rapid test with a minimum specificity of 85%, Sensitivity 98% for COVID-19, carried out in a period not exceeding seventy-two hours (72) before entering the country. In unforeseen circumstances, the passenger will undergo a clinical evaluation by the staff of the International Health Office
c)Comply with the other biosecurity measures established in the protocols of the Secretary of State in the Health Office (mandatory use of a mask)
All travelers must ensure that they meet the requirements to leave the country and enter the country of destination. Compliance with the requirements is the responsibility of each passenger. If a foreign passenger develops respiratory symptoms or shows signs or symptoms compatible with a contagious
disease, including COVID-19, they will undergo the process established in the protocol of biosecurity measures for international airports in Honduras (Civil Aviation Industry)

It is reiterated to the population to take into account all the biosecurity measures that have been implemented and to be at least three (3) hours before their flight in the corresponding airport. Also, make sure to have on hand your hotel reservation as a safe-conduct.

1 Like

Thanks Roatan community for help. I am happy to learn about reopening of Roatan services.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response.

2 Likes

This is so helpful. Thank you so much! Stay safe!

2 Likes

I’m looking to travel to Roatan later this month (March 17-21); I know all the COVID guidelines for entering/leaving the country but have some questions:
–Are tourists required to self-isolate upon arrival?
–I’m looking online for restaurants in the West Bay and looks like most of them are offering take out only - are any restaurants open for DINE-IN at the location?
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @ChrisR

Welcome to our forum. Tourists are not required to be quarantined upon arrival. That’s why you have to present a negative test result to enter the country. Most restaurants in West Bay and West End are open for dine-in at the location; perhaps two or three are closed.

Thank you very helpful - when searching for restaurants on Google Maps, most West Bay restaurants are showing No Dine-In permitted online so I was nervous about making plans to come since I want to make sure to try all the local restaurants to support the island business!

2 Likes