Partners In Education Roatan (P.I.E.R)

Join us in helping Roatan’s children.

Our organization is working with schools and the ministers of education to give Roatan’s youth the knowledge they need for a better future.

We offer classes in the Sandcastle Library in Sandy Bay, operate two bookmobiles that travel the island with thousands of books, offer free tutoring for students, use of computers for homework, and much more. We are currently in need of donations to repair one of our school bus bookmobiles so we can get it back on the road.

Additionally, we are seeking volunteers to help with our education programs, and donations of books in Spanish to add to our library.

We invite you to visit our facility or contact Trish @ Nixon.trish@gmail.com for more information regarding our successes and plans for the future.

PIER ROATAN VIDEO:

6 Likes

How exactly do “bookmobiles” work in Roatan? - Does the Bus have a set schedule? how long is it at any given school?

Is the bus repair the primary need at the moment? What’s wrong with the Bus?

I posed these questions here (vs private message) as I believe others might also be interested in the answers to these questions.

1 Like

HI LIonfish…i typed up a nice lengthy response and included a video attachment, but it was too long and was sent back to me. Since I am new to this site, I can’t figure out how to shorten it. So I will try to copy the verbiage, delete the video (anyone who wants it is free to email me at nixon.trish@gmail.com and I will be happy to send it to them) and post it again. There’s a learning curve for us “oldsters” to figure out how to do some of this…so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, thanks for asking! There are 2 bookmobiles…the large “Blue Bird” (traditional sized school bus) and a smaller version. The large one visits many of the public schools in Roatan on a 3 week rotating schedule…so it visits many communities. The smaller one, recently donated by 2 generous sponsors, is the “Santos Guardiola” bus and it visits that area on a 3 week schedule as well. Both buses also have teachers from PIER who go along with the bus, and teach a class while some of the students are in the bus, then those in the bus, after checking out books they want, trade places with their classmates in the classroom, so all groups of students get their time in the bus to choose books. Incidentally, one of our teachers, Lindbergh, has been driving a car to the schools since the big bus has been in need of an engine…he has not missed one scheduled class.
The big bus engine died a few months ago, and it was just shipped to the mainland for repair, as that was a more economical answer…the buses are retro-fitted with shelving, a desk in the back for the librarian, and other features, and a new “used” bus was much more expensive. If all goes as planned, with the money from the Go Fund Me page, donations and an expense to PIER, the ‘big bus’ will be on the road again soon. The engine is supposed to be back here on the island and installed in the next few weeks.
I have a video that I put together - to see it, just send an email to me at nixon.trish@gmail.com

3 Likes

I had no idea. This sounds like a good cause. Thank you for sharing and onward!

It’s a fantastic organization that hasn’t done much to “toot their own horn” and I am helping them by marketing and doing their PR now…if you would like the video, let me know and I can send to you.
Thanks again!
Trish Nixon

Trish Nixon
Nixon.trish@gmail.com

3 Likes

PIER ROATAN VIDEO:

Enjoy this video introduction about PIER.

Is PIER related in any way to the TOMs shoe giving we saw in another post? - In either event, the effort and charity here are worthy of praise.

Hi…PIER and the Tom’s shoe drive are two separate Non-Profits, both doing exceedingly good work on Roatan. I happen to volunteer for both and think they are both marvelous.

3 Likes

No, they are different. TOMS is related to “Because We Care”. PIER also serves schools in the area but with a focus on education via their mobile units and boots on the ground.

Both reputable.

1 Like

Right…PIER is working on helping teachers and students via reading/math/science classes that are held in both the schools and at the Library. In addition to loaning books, the library also holds “Science Friday” classes, during which the kids work on various types of science projects together. They do a lot of fantastic experiments during which they have to solve problems and come up with solutions. PIER is seeking volunteers (even if you are on the island just a couple months a year) - there are projects you can help with that will make a huge difference in the future of the island children.
One item we need are books in Spanish…so if you see some of those and want to donate them to our library, they would be extremely popular and appreciated.

5 Likes

I came across this website today and I remembered this posts. Here is the website for PIER:
http://pierroatan.org/

3 Likes

Anything going on with PIER during the holiday weeks? - My heart always goes out to these kids during this time of year.

We just had their Halloween party a couple of weeks ago (late, due to torrential rains that slowed everything down) We will be having activities for them at the library on an on-going basis, as always…throughout the year. We have over 60 kids who are ‘regulars’ at the library who help tutor others, expand their own learning/reading, and play educational games, etc. What we are in need of desperately are books in spanish for the kids. They have developed ravenous appetites for reading, and we simply don’t have enough books in spanish for them to read…if we have them, they will read them. If you or anyone you know wants to obtain some books in spanish and get them to me, I know the kids would be ecstatic to have more to read.
Thanks for asking!
Feel free to contact me directly for more information.

Trish Nixon
Nixon.trish@gmail.com

3 Likes