Giving back to the Island Children

Because We Care is a loosely structured non-profit on Roatan. It was started 18 years ago by Nidia Webster.

Nidia had a dream that she could help the children who had so little. She started off small with Christmas parties for a few kids and from there, it grew. This year we had Christmas complete with Santa and gifts for almost 2000 island children. These were kids who would not normally get anything at all for Christmas.She also distributes TOMS shoes from the Buy One, Donate One program. This past year we fit over 11,000 school children with new TOMS shoes.Many of the children came to get their new shoes wearing the very worn out pair they were given the year before. Because We Care also distributes school supplies, desks, raincoats, toothbrushes and toothpaste, all from donations.

You can find Because We Care on Facebook.

6 Likes

I love this. Looking forward to keeping up with this organization and getting my own kids involved in the cause. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

What a good cause. If we are heading to Roatan later this year, what can we bring along (other the obvious cash) that might be helpful to the cause?

1 Like

Hello, Thank you for your interest. School supplies, crayons, books in Spanish, socks, toothbrushes, flip flops, small generic Croc type shoes. The schools here get little to no Government funding, many have no supplies. The children are so excited to get crayons, coloring books, paper to draw on. When you get closer to your trip you can message us on FB Roatan Because We Care and make arrangements for your donations to be picked up. We can also take you to a school to personally pass the things out. The little girls love hair clips and nail polish, the boys love small matchbox cars and soccer. Again, Thank you. Deb from Because We Care

6 Likes

This has the makings of a mini mission trip. I support this.

What better way to get the most out of your vacation than to personally hand out goodies to kiddos. EXCELLENT.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Guanaja & Roatan

@ledfutt - Understood and thank you. I yes, this will happen. I will be sure to pack an extra bag.

@LadyDanger - Time for you to pick up the baton and make your own friends. :wink:

2 Likes