Point of Sale

What is the preferred form of payment while on the island or what is the most beneficial to the local people and businesses? Credit card or US$.

2 Likes

I’ll leave a thread below about the use of CC and cash on the island

1 Like

Credit cards are good. However, carry lempiras for incidentals such as Taxi cabs and small purchases from the fruit stands. Try not to pay with dollars!I You can go to a bank and exchange up to $200.00 for lempiras, just show your passport. Some banks ask if you are a account holder, If not, no service so go elsewhere.The bank I have used is the one next to Eldons on your way to West End. They are very accommodating. Make sure your dollars are in good condition. No tears as they will reject them. If your U.S. bank can exchange your dollars here for lempiras, it’s a plus. Forewarned is forearmed. Good luck.

2 Likes

you will be better off with a credit card for hotels and grocery stores and cash (either undamaged US bills or Lempiras) for many smaller proprietors. Some restaurants only accept cash. I find the ATMs are working quite well here and will dispense in lempiras. US cash is accepted everywhere here.

2 Likes