2020 Pandemic Update?

Hello. Can anyone provide an update on what is happening on Roatan right now? Are expats staying? Are flights in and out happening if yes how often? Is the economic uncertainty and pandemic having a major impact on local businesses and community. Are there groups helping out?

1 Like

@Mary_Johnson1 My friends and I were supposed to be in Roatan this week, but we’re hoping to be able to reschedule a trip back sometime this year. I’ve been watching the US Embassy’s update on the country’s opening. You can find that here. https://hn.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

1 Like

well. my dive group was supposed to go in June and Roatan canceled all flights – so I will be going next year. Also, Anthony Keys resort also canceled our booking. So it looks like Roatan if off limits (so to say) for the time being

1 Like

Yes the island has shut down since the beginning of March and we are under house quarantine. There are many ex-pats still here tho since they have businesses and a home regardless of tourism. No cruise ships nor air travel has been allowed except for special flights to return those who wanted to leave. They are still running those flights however sporadically. There is a major impact for islanders who depend on the tourist business and many resorts are arranging food benefit packages on a regular basis. Many other groups are also helping out with food and dry goods for these families. We believe altho not confirmed yet that Friday we may see a gradual easing of the quarantine rules and some restaurants and shops will start to reopen. There have been ZERO cases of COVID-19 here so we are very fortunate.

2 Likes

Any new Roatan Governor update? Since April15th
We are to travel early July

1 Like

Thank you Carol please keep everyone updated on the status
We love coming to Roatan

1 Like

Update today is that there are now 50 case of COVID on the island…and more test results are coming soon. We are on strict quarantine and most businesses are still closed. Restaurant delivery is available from just a small number of eateries.

1 Like

Hi, any new updates yet? I haven’t been able to find any current info

1 Like

Daily updates here, hope it helps: https://www.facebook.com/gobernacionislas/

1 Like