Exploring moving to Roatán

I know Covid has brought the world to a stop, but when this pandemic is finally under control (hopefully soon) my wife and I will be making a trip.

We are truly in the very beginning stages of exploring a move to Roatán.

From my reading it seems much easier as a retiree which would give me several more years to prepare.

I wanted to know if anyone on the forum actually retired early and took the leap of faith of moving to Roatán and starting a business and new life there to just get out of the rat race?

I know that is a pretty broad question but if anyone has a story like this I would love to hear about it if you wanted to share it.

Thanks

Eric

2 Likes

We bought our property and have built our first Casita, but are stuck here in the US waiting to get to Roatan. They’ve seemed to look to the US for direction on this Covid thing and have even taken more drastic measures than we’re currently experiencing.
Although we’re still optimistic about our move there, we were hoping to find a place a little more independent from the US.
That being said, Roatan is an incredible place. We’d love to share our experiences thus far.

2 Likes

Hi Eric, hope you don’t mind if I piggyback on your thread here. My husband and I are considering taking a leap of faith and not waiting for retirement to make a big move out of the US. We are in the early info gathering stages too. Maybe we could share info with each other once we find out new things. Chris Cash

2 Likes

Sounds great, absolutely. I’ve been so busy with work and dodging hurricanes I haven’t made time to focus on this in a couple weeks. My next step will be planning a trip back to Roatan hopefully in December.

My wife and I have a business we are researching starting there so that is the next logical step.

1 Like

Oh curious about what business you will be starting? I can sell real estate there and I am also an Interior Designer and have a marketing background so I am not worried about finding work but my husband is not sure what he will do there.

1 Like

Well, we have a few in mind, one being a bar/tavern and a couple of other service industry ideas we are exploring. Much more research is needed before we are ready to nail the exact one down.

1 Like

Looking to move to Roatan next summer. Thinking expats would be able to give the best advice as to who to contact and where to live. Any advice for getting started?

1 Like

You’ve come to the right place to start your journey and research. If you have specific questions after you poke around the forum, let us know and we will gladly answer any questions.

Welcome to Roatan!

We used (realtor) Lisa Blythe who was very helpful throughout our purchase. We found our First Bight property on the Roatan MLS and flew out to see it. First Bight is approximately in the middle of the island and close to an international school for our teenaged son.
A week spent driving from one end to the other would be my advice. I would also suggest a 4x4 and not a car with little bitty tires (like we had) for the journey.
Good luck in your search. Feel free to ask any other questions that you may have.
Attachment of the view from our first Casita.

2 Likes