Are ATV's street legal here?

Is it possible to drive an atv on the road here? Will I require a tag if so?

1 Like

There quite a few ATV shops that rent these for the tourists…if you are asking about bringing your own I would reconsider due to taxes at importing them, proper paperwork needed, etc. But to answer your direct question: yes it’s legal to drive these here. and you will require a tag.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the info Carol! My husband has been considering bringing one to get around in instead of a car. The house we’re buying is on the East End. He thought it might be better on the roads there, especially in rainy season, and maybe have less impact environmentally. The one he is checking into is like a mini car with a cab, a/c, etc. If you have enough spare time on your hands I would really appreciate knowing more about the requirements. Accurate info is proving to be less than easy to come by…example: I’ve read that we can bring one new vehicle duty free once we’ve acquired Residency. Thank you again for answering my crazy question(s)!

1 Like

First off obtaining residency is a long process so it just doesn’t happen in a month or six even. Driving a ATV on back roads in east end is all well and good but what are you going to do to go to the grocery store and other errands? On the main roads it’s going to be a hassle and I don’t recommend that you consider this your main vehicle. It’s not practical at all. Any car or vehicle must show proper title and ownership and no older than 10 years. The import fees are going to be large. And what about repairs? Not a lot of mechanics here who know how to work on them. Ditto jeeps. I would love to tell you it’s gonna be a breeze. But it isn’t.

1 Like

I can’t say how much I appreciate this forum! Thank you Carol for your fast and thoughtful responses. We know without the knowledge of people who have gone before us we would be making very costly mistakes that we may be able to avoid with this info. We have been made aware of the length of time to get Residency and some other requirements. To us, these aren’t necessarily bad. Just an adjustment! We have 2 years to get learning!

1 Like