Bringing horses from US to Roatan

My husband and I are interested in relocating to Roatan. I am a teacher in the US and my husband does concrete. We are interested in living on the East side. We are coming in again with another cruise and hope to make arrangements then for a week in December to get a good look around. Bringing at least 2 horses is a must. I am having a difficult time finding out the details of bringing them to the island.

2 Likes

@mrjosewalks1 - welcome. You must speak to @Anna - she’s been through this very situation before! - good luck to the two of you.

1 Like

Hola! Ask any questions you have. Yes, we have brought our horses from California. What cruise line are you coming on? Have you been to Roatan before? I can show you around if you are looking for a property as I sell property here on Roatan. We live in Palmetto Bay. It’s secluded and we have some a couple of acres here. Ask Away! I’m ready to answer! Welcome to the forum.

2 Likes

Wonderful!!! Yes we were there last June and will be back on the NCL Breakaway on June 25th. We are also looking for a place to fly down and stay Dec 22-28 as we would like to actually stay on the island for a few days. I am a teacher so I have to work around that schedule. We would both be looking for jobs there too. I have an Animal Science and biology degree and teach agriculture. I would love working at a rescue or wildlife sanctuary. I have 10 years of vet tech experience as well. My husband drives concrete trucks but also has 50 years experience in all large equipment and has hazmat endorsements.

As for the horses, they would be coming from Tennessee, so I guess either Texas or Florida then to the islands? How long did it take to move them? Did you travel with them? Cost per horse? What type of health papers other than health certificate, coggins and proof of vaccinations? Do they have to be quarantined?

We are interested in checking out the east end. Somewhere we could be close enough to go to town to work but far enough to have some affordable acres for the horses. Not a big house 1-2 bedrooms is plenty. I am moving there to enjoy life not keep house or entertain. We would also come back to the States June - Aug to show the 2 horses here that will remain.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @mrjosewalks1 - The East End is perfect for what you are after. The paved road goes as far out as Punta Gorda. From there on out, travel times are greatly reduced.

Send us photos of your horses!

1 Like

MrJose Walks

3 Likes

Ice Ice Baby World Champion 2&3 year Old Open Shod NSSHA

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

oh my…these are more than “horses” they are SHOW Horses - Congratulations. Breed as many as you’d like on Roatan!

Thank you. Midnight Ice and her mother JFKatie will be the only ones coming. Jose and Baby will stay here in training for us to come show.

2 Likes

Gosh, Jose, Sorry for the late reply. Here is my email address Anna@moskowitzhq.com We trekked our two rescue horses from California to Florida. They rested on the long drive and then also rested in Florida for roughly a week after which we put them on a Fed Ex plane to San Pedro Sula. They flew with a groomsman (they called it) to keep the horse calm with some sedation. They were quarantined in San Pedro (stayed 10 days on a farm on the mainland then they were driven to La Ceiba and put on about to the Island of Roatan. We have rental still available in Dec. 2 bed, 2 baths on Palmetto Bay. https://www.vrbo.com/814919

2 Likes