Captains License Required?

My wife and I are looking to relocate to Roatan next year. We own a 35’ Cabo Express and are looking to possibly take the Boat down across the GOM. My question - I don’t have my USCG captains license here in the states. If I want to start a charter business in Roatan (after jumping through all the residency / other hoops), is a USCG (or equivalent) captains license a requirement in Honduras?

1 Like

Hi @Greengo

Check this thread that might help you

Thank you very much for forwarding that along. That makes sense to me, considering the amount of structure surrounding Roatan! I am an experienced Captain…but there is definitely something to be said about knowing the local waters!! I am actually leaning toward hiring a local captain, until such time that it may make sense for me to get my captain’s license.

Thanks,

Corby Walker
San-Tex Homes
210-380-8487
http://www.san-texhomes.com

| RoatanSupport PRO
October 11 |

• | - |

Hi @Greengo

Check this thread that might help you

1 Like

A USCG captain’s license is not required for a personal boat, provided the watercraft does not reach 26 feet or more in length and requires no deckhand or crew. If using for commercial purposes, you need to know the Captain’s License requirements because states tend to observe laws that apply best to their jurisdictions.