Boat Captain Jobs?

I spent several months on Roatan while in the Army back in the early 90’s and would love to get back. Considering buying a place there in a few years when I retire. Would love to continue working part time and wondering if there is a need for USCG Boat Captains in the Bay Islands? I have experience doing dive and fishing charters here in Hawaii. I assume I’d have to get some type of work visa? Does anyone know if one is required to apply for a Honduran version of the USCG Master’s License to charter boats?
Mahalo
Lee

2 Likes

Unless you start your own charter business they prefer to hire locals that know the reef. As far as getting your Captains license here it requires residency and a trip to the port captain to get a form, go to the bank and pay about $5 and bring the form back. Done! That also explains why many people driving boats here drive like maniacs and don’t follow the rules of the road. I have my uscg captains license as well and unless you’re on a us flagged boat it won’t matter.

3 Likes

As an operator, I will echo @City_Dogs_Sailing. Local captains are the mainstream and HN does not offer a work visa. I would say your skill could be quite useful in being a rotating relief captain once you know the waters around the island. Many times it is difficult to find relief captains when a staffed captain goes on vacation. Good luck in your search and let us know when you land on the island!

2 Likes