I would like to stay six months but only have a 90-day Visa

So for my understanding you’re allowed to stay in Honduras for 90 days I’m looking to stay in Roatan I actually want to stay there for 6 months normally when I visit countries I have a 90-day Visa I usually go to the Border in country for a couple days then re-enter the country that I’m primarily visiting is there anyway I can go about doing this on an island like this thank you in advance

3 Likes

Hello @Blu3, and welcome to the forum. The answer to your questions is YES and NO.

Yes, if and only if, it is to a country outside the Central American countries. So, you could go to Mexico, for example, as it would be considered an proper exit out of Honduras…but you could not go to Nicaragua or Guatemala.

1 Like

@Blu3 Look into Belize…it may qualify as an official exist and it makes for an excellent destination.

2 Likes

Yes you can stay for 6 months on a 90 day visa. You will be required to pay a fee upon leaving in 6 months. The fees are posted at the immigration office and its not too steep but must be paid in lempiras. Now, if you want to leave and re-enter as you suggest you must be at least 3 countries away to do that and Belize is a popular spot for such a trip as Cayman Airways flies direct to there.

3 Likes

Yes, Belize is a good choice. Tropic Air has daily flights. About $180 a ticket.
You are required to spend 3 days out of the country.
Compared to the fines for over staying, it’s an expensive option. :-).

2 Likes

So, what did you figure out? I am in the same predicament and need to leave to reset my tourist visa in January?

1 Like