Potential first timers!

Good morning!
Our usual “go-to” vacation destination is St. John, USVI, having been there @ 2 dozen times.
We love the fact that, basically, every part of the island is accessible.
We’re wondering if Roatan is similar…?
Which side of the island has a nightlife,or both?
Vehicle rental needed/ available?
Where to fly into?
2 adults, ISO-
1-2 bedroom, sunset view, walkable to “town…?”,
Pool,a.c., washer/dryer, private…
Is there a food market on island? We dine out alot, but also enjoy cooking.- speaking of which; advice on local food spots are welcome!!!
Any & all help is appreciated!
Smiles-
MJ

2 Likes

Send me an e-mail and I can give some details - cpw4848@hotmail.com.

Chris

1 Like

Needing some insight on where to stay and things to do. Looking for retirement options and want to enjoy beach and local food etc. Any insight would be appreciated. Is it best to fly direct to Roatan or take a jumper flight from other airports? Rental car needed? What is exchange rate for US dollars?

1 Like

Good day @Maho-Jim1 - and welcome to our forum.

• Accessibility: The West End of Roatan is fully accessible via paved roads. The eastern side of the island is only accessible via gravel road starting at Punta Gorda and onward to Port Royal and Camp Bay.

• Night Life: The West side is has the most action. In particular, West End.

• Rentals are easy to find, just do a search on this form for recommendations. @Carol_Luber seem to like “Ernesto Zelaya” for Transportation services. She would know.
    See link below for Ernesto’s contact info:

• You will fly into Roatan International Airport (RTB), but you may choose to first fly into San Pedro (SAP) on the mainland. Flight are cheaper into San Pedro Spirit from the US and then you can use CM Airlines to hope over to RTB.

Hope this helps.

Do you have a personal e-mail I can respond to? Rather do it that instead of broadcasting the correspondance.

It is tabchuckh@yahoo.com

1 Like

Roatan is a small island with distinct characteristics on the East side vs the West Side. East side is m mostly residences with a few resorts and some eateries. West side is where you find nightlife as in bars, live music and fine dining restaurants. Vehicle rental is advised but there are abundant taxis to hop in and out of on the west side. Vehicle rentals can be done through the agencies such as AVIS, EconoCar, Enterprise and ThriftyCar. But I like the independent car rental where the price can be as low as $35/daily or in the case of longer term, $200/month. Plenty of food markets on the island with Eldon’s the largest and most fully stocked including USA brands. Lots of small groceries and you have vendors in trucks with seafood, vegetables and such. I have available starting April a 2 bedroom beach front property with an excellent sunset view from the dock. Walkable to many dive shops and restaurants or a short cab ride to the nightlife you are seeking. The villa is available April thru December. Rent is $1050 plus your electric which is metered.

1 Like