Private plane advice / information

My husband and I are considering Roatan as our place of retirement. We have visited several times and love it. We have our own plane and would like to know if anyone could point us to the right place to get information on rather hangers are offered at the airport, fees and fuel. We recently came from Belize and learned a private plane cannot be kept on the island at all.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @3DFamily.

What kind of aircraft do you own?

1 Like

I´m not an aeronautical person but I´ll offer my best uninformed response. There are no airplane hangers on Roatan that I am aware of, only tie-downs at the airport. I would check with the airport authorities as to what is offered there or check with other private pilots that operate out of Roatan.

3 Likes

Good Day @3DFamily,
Unfortunately there are no hangars on our Airport and parking fees do apply. If you wish you can send me an Email at jinteriano@interairports.hn and we will send you our current Airport fees and Fuel prices.

3 Likes

Thank you for the info. I will have my husband (Brian) who is the pilot e-mail you separately.

3 Likes

Hi, long ago i had a C-172 and an Aerocommander 560E at the Roatan airport. After a long battle with Interairports and the goverment, I simply gave up. Unfortunately, Honduras is NOT GA friendly. They will come down on you hard for inspections, permits and ongoing harassment. Interairport will charge you the highest rates in the world for parking, no tradicional tie down, just a spot on the ramp and No avgas. You will have to fly out if the country very often, back then, you only got a 10 day permit. I would seriously do intense due diligence before you get yourself into a frustrating situation. There are still some of us around that can tell you horror stories. Dr. Patrick, Eric Anderson etc. DON’T DO IT MAN…

2 Likes

Oh wow. Hate to hear what you had to endure. Thanks for the insight. We appreciate it.

1 Like

@rasxpress - thank you for contributing a respectfully, candid, and opposing point of view. It’s too bad you had to experience that.

Sounds like a proper due diligence is an order.

2 Likes

I am in the airline business. Please send me your telephone number and I will call you and give some insight of how you can bring your aircraft to Roatan and take advantage of it. Best regards. jesus.correa@gmail.com

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Aircraft jobs

Hello 3DFamily

My husband and I are in the process of looking to retire and Roatan is high on our list. We have a private plane. Are you able to share what you learned from the process? Judging from the responses to your post, it doesn’t look like Roatan favours private aircraft. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi there Canadian Pilot.

We bought a house in Roatan 5 years ago and owned our own plane as well. We did do the research and found it difficult to try to bring it here. A few items to note: No hangers; Limited Ramp Space; 100LL may or may not be available; International Ramp Fees are expensive unless you go to mainland first to clear customers; Limited mechanics; Hard to get parts, etc. However, if you have an N number registration, you may be able to fly people for hire if that was part of your plan. Happy to share any other info or chat about the island. My husband is a retired United Pilot (I’m still working) and we are based in Houston when not on the island. If you want to e-mail or connect on island some time, just let me know (dianadotolo@yahoo.com).

1 Like