Safety in Roatan

My partner and I are thinking about going to Roatan next winter for approx. 2-3 months. We have travelled to many parts of Mexico together and he doesn’t feel comfortable in the poorer areas of Mexico and not comfortable with less amenities than what we have at home. Would he feel comfortable in either West Bay or West End? He prefers to stay in a condo where many expats stay.

1 Like

Welcome,

I suggest you visit the island first and see everything before and have your point of view. West Bay is a good place. Crime is everywhere, but you need to be in very “poor areas” where crime is a thing on a daily basis to feel unsafe. There are many expats living on Roatan with no problem but I’ll let them tell you their experiences and see what you decide. Roatan is beautiful.

Luxe living is not really here in Roatan. That being said, I agree that West Bay condos are upscale…and hotels such as Xblanque or Ibagari is super luxe on Tamarind Drive near West Bay. However, those two hotels are mainly for tourists. I suggest a condo community like Keyhole Bay or The Grand Resort for nice condos closer to other ex-pats and definitely close to the beautiful white beaches of Roatan.

1 Like

Just don’t get in any trouble and you’ll be good. Even in the US or anywhere in the world there will always be someones who’s not right in the head and might go crazy but other than dont walk alone at night

1 Like

Hello Carol,
We (Husband & I) LOVE Roatan and are seriously thinking on a 2-3 months stay next winter (Jan-March) and of course we need to find a place to rent.
We will be there first week of May (West Bay Resort) so my question is: is there some type of association or do you guys get together at all in the Island(like a local Restaurant). We would love to meet people from the here (USA) who are now residents of such a beautiful island just to get some tips/info.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Best place to meet expats and tourists alike is Sundowners in West End. Everyone comes through there at least once a week although Friday and Tuesday nights with music is most well attended. Sunday Funday at Beachers in West Bay is another great place to meet expats…. The Roatan Brewery on a Saturday is great too and its located off of Mudhole Road which is about 20 minute drive from West End.

No actual associations that I know of…I mean there is a Rotary Club but that’s more about assisting islanders through charitable gifts and time.

Gingers in West End is fun and friendly too.

I’ve lived here since 2008….my hometown is Philadelphia, PA. If you’d like to meet one day just give me a shout out.

Take care!

1 Like

BJ’s in Oak Ridge on Friday afternoons

1 Like