A day in Roatan

My wife and I are visiting Roatan finally in September. We are coming on a cruise. We’ll be there a day and I have secured a van for us to tour the island. I know a day isn’t enough but if you wanted to show a couple the flavor of Roatan, where would you visit? What would you insist they see? Not tourist traps but friendly residents and fun. I’m looking to set up an itinerary for our friends and us to experience Roatan on an introductory level.

Any help will be appreciated.

3 Likes

cruising there in september also on carnival departing tampa on the 24th any chance that is the one your on?

2 Likes

It is! On the Mardi Gras?

2 Likes

My apologies. We will be there the week before coming back on the 24th

2 Likes

Hello, it really depends on how far you want to go. Sandy Bay is a mix of expat and locals. You can drive to the East End of the island, go to Punta Gordo or even further east to La Serena. It’s a nice drive to the East End, you can stop at local shops and food stands.

3 Likes

Thank you Yonish. Any restaurants you would suggest?

2 Likes

Hello @Tentmates

Take a look at the thread of Roatan’s Favorite Restaurants

2 Likes

If you have a car rented and can go to the other end of the island. Camp bay beach is incredible to look at and swim at… Then go on down to the restaurant La Sirena, It doesn’t look good at first sight but the food is good and you have hummingbirds flying to your table. Then go take the mangrove tour in oak ridge.

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation.

2 Likes

Camp Bay was on our list of possibilities, Thanks.

2 Likes

In the future, consider stopping by Pristine Bay. More specifically, visit the us @BitcoinBeachRoatan and we will set you up with a boat ride courtesy of @ScubaShop

1 Like

Will certainly do so. I think once the wife gets a taste, we will be back sooner than later. She retires shortly after we get back from the cruise and I hope to join her after the first of the year, looking forward to having a tank on my back again.

1 Like

Crap well still if you find anything for rentals please txt me at 850 261 4329…also FB if you prefer. Thanxx
rob

1 Like

Will do. We rented the van through the excursion menu but we have other people with us to split the cost. I’ll let you know where we go and if it’s worth your time.

2 Likes

thank you so much! Hope ya’ll have tons of fun!
rob

2 Likes

We had a wonderful time. Did not get to explore as much of the island as we wanted but we learned a lot. Coven Hole did not impress but it is where most of the shopping is. My wife loved the drive along the coast from Sandy Beach to West End. We stopped and had lunch at Ipanema Beach Bar and fell in love with their hospitality. Found some properties we liked in West End and West Bay but we didn’t have time to do serious investigation. We went to the top of the tallest peak and some of the populated areas there really broke our hearts. We made it as far north as French Harbor. I was hoping to at least get Milton Bight in but ran out of time. We saw enough to know that it is definitely worth a longer trip to further explore from Milton Bight to Camp Bay and everything in between. Enjoy your time there.

2 Likes

East End of the island has the most beautiful views. See Punta Gorda, stop at Bella’s Place or Kristine’s.
Oakridge a fishing village. West End is unique but kinda touristy but great local food there.