American crocodiles ..sightings and safety

Hello. I hear there is a healthy population of American crocodiles that live here. Locals say you see them mostly at night on the beach at camp bay but that they are shy during the day and they’ve never heard of anyone being attacked. I would love to know more about them since I have an active toddler and a small dog both of which fall prey to them in Florida. Anyone know more of have advice? Is it really safe to swim in the beach at Paya and Camp bay? Ok to walk along the paths thru the mangroves there?

2 Likes

No you should not go walking through the mangrove swamps…and as for crocs they do live here in a quite small number. Ive heard of no dangers swimming out by Camp Bay or the beach at Paya. as with anywhere in a tropical land, do not let your dog or child run free… there are many ways one can get hurt if not diligent…it’s not just crocs.

2 Likes

I’m not an expert, and this knowledge is 20 years old, but I heard they have caymans, which are small less aggressive crocodiles… I have never heard anything about alligators… for one thing… they don’t like salt water and the island is not exactly full of lakes, rivers and streams where an alligator would live

1 Like

No they are in fact 15 foot long American crocodiles which do go out and swim in the ocean at night as well as within the mangrove swamps. The locals call them Alligators and know it is not safe to swim in those areas nor do they let their kids near those beaches and canals. I was not comfortable with the notion that the people who do use the beaches there feel…that they only hunt at night. I stayed in the pool instead of swimming at the beach which was disappointing and I wish I had read the natural history of Roatan before booking our stay.

1 Like

I stand corrected. My information came from an Oakridge boat captain, born and bred, about 15 -20 years ago when I spoke to him… either I misremembered or he was misinformed. He did say that they mostly are up in the mangroves.

What beaches do the locals not let their kids go to? Where were you staying?

I don’t much like swimming in the ocean at night period… too scary… Maybe will keep to the pool at night and ocean during the day :slight_smile:

Crocodylus acutus "central american alligator’… American Crocodile… are not aggressive like the Nile crocodiles… but attacks do occur and they are a bit more aggressive than the american alligator…

1 Like

I was staying on the east end of the island. So Paya bay and camp bay. The locals there said the crocs are in the bights as well and out to St. Helene. I am a fraidy cat to say the least when it comes to some things. My grandparents lived in Florida so their stories maybe scared me out of wanting to live near certain wildlife.

1 Like

@Mary_Johnson Check this article on our RTB website:

There’s information on Roatan’s Flora and Fauna, species, and nesting sites.
I hope it might be helpful!