Container shipping/Broker

Hello,
we are planning on shipping a container through Hyde around mid March. I was told that we get one container, any size, duty free with the purchase of a home. We just found out we need a broker. We are totally ignorant of this process. We are wondering if we need an inventory, should we well pack belongings or leave them more accessible (not sure about inspection process), how long can our container be at the port, a good broker and suppose I need to hire help to transport the container or contents to our home. Any advise/recommendations on this process would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

3 Likes

Hello @LARoberts

The online forum will help you to connect and meet new people as you are in the process of moving. Consider browsing through our forum. Here’s some information that the community has previously discussed:

You can also send a private message if you have questions that may not be appropriate for a public forum, just click on the name and then “send message”

1 Like

We moved from Canada to Roatan and used the same people. hey are excellent and professional. There are a lot of Facebook groups. Ask Anything Roatan, Roatan Travel / Support Roatan Discussion Group, ROATAN CRIME WATCH, Roatan Garden Society

1 Like

I thought you get a duty-free container after you get a Retirement Visa, not just buy a home.

1 Like

Hello LARoberts.
Find any real info or links that helps yet?
I’m seeking experiences, costs, procedures, times etc myself.

1 Like

Thanks all for the info!

1 Like

Hey Tom, we have been working with Juan @ Hyde in Ft. Lauderdale and a broker in Roaton. I can’t confirm anything yet, we are still a couple of weeks out from starting this process but it is labor intensive depending on what u intent to move, and there is a detailed inventory process. We have a 3bed/3 bath townhome about 2400 squ ft. We have down-sized, and keep down sizing until we can fit into a 20 ft container, I think it’s over 2k, can’t remember precise amount, but Hyde will give you an estimate. And we have been told $2700 tax on a 20ft container by the broker. It hasn’t been easy to get firm info. We are undergoing the inventory process but I’m not at all sure how detailed it had to be. Then it will get sent to the broker. That’s all I have for now. If you have more info, I’d really appreciate if you’d share.

1 Like

Good morning Good_Day.

We are Canadians as well and ;looking to move down there, would you be able to send me tips and info and pit falls etc?

If you are willing and wanted to exchange email addresses to make it easier just let me know, i would really appreciate any tips.

My biggest concern is our safety and health care there. We are both healthy but being Canadians we know the value of health care being decent and affordable.

It’s a huge deal to leave Canada, but we are ready to ditch the rat race and cold.

Thank you,

1 Like

Hey Tom, I got approved for the “ask anything Roaton” Facebook group, where I asked about this and got lots of good feedback

1 Like

I would also love to hear of your experience moving from Canada. Where did you live in Canada? How long have you been in Roatán? Any tips, etc.?

1 Like

If you already have a Dispensa from the Honduran government, you apparently get one shipment duty-free. We didn’t want to wait to get a Dispensa, we had already waited 4 months to get our furniture from Hawaii to Florida. It also would not have saved us enough money to make it worth staying in Miami for another 2 months, considering additional rent & food.

1 Like

We used DPS for our move to Roatan in December 2021. Shipping goes by cubic feet. Ours was 840 cubic feet and it was $9600; that includes duties as well as shipping costs. On the Roatan end, DPS brings it right to your door. The shipping company needs an inventory list of what you are shipping; this is used when it goes through customs.

2 Likes