Exploring moving to Roatan

Thanks for the info. Would you also recommend for property purchase on Roatan?

1 Like

Hi Eric
I will be happy to provide you with insights and directions from my POV as attorney for families and individuals moving to Roatan and the Bay islands of Honduras.

1 Like

Hi, Chris will be glad to share my insights with you from my local attorney’s perspective.

1 Like

Hello,
I am looking at a small property for sale in that area and wondered about the schools. Are they open? Is the international school also available for younger children? I run a nonprofit so can work remotely are there any possibilities that someone with land on the island might want to donate it to an organization that would start a regenerative organic farmer training center so the island had more self sufficiency in reef safe locally grown foods? Does anyone grow timber bamboos on the island for renewable hurricane resilient building materials? I’m also wondering if anyone ever camps on the island. Is that unsafe? Thanks to anyone who might have answers to these questions.

1 Like

Can I jump in too? I am in the first stages of planning for a move to Roatan in the next 2 to 5 years. Yeah I plan ahead… I want to visit the island this spring or summer as soon as COVID slows down! ANY input is greatly appreciated!! I wonder what kind of affordable health insurance is available on Roatan…

1 Like

If you are looking at Helene - There is a FB page of Bay Island Entertainment TV. They did a 2+ hour Walk-Around on Helene. Boat access only - No cars - No medical access, etc
Here is a link - if it works.

2 Likes

I am thinking of doing the same thing in 2 to 5 years and am starting the planning for the move. Going for a visit in July. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

1 Like

Along with several others in this thread, we are planning an exploratory trip of several weeks to Roatan, with the idea of moving there for our retirement. We should be able to retire a year from now so unless something drastic happens between now and then we are out of here! Love all the wonderful help and ideas.

1 Like

Eric,

Thanks for your post. I am interested in knowing what responses you received to your post, as I am also considering making the decision. I look forward to hearing from you.

2 Likes

Dan Horn (you can message him on FaceBook) - Dan was/is our realtor, I say it that way because he gave us an incredible day of touring the island prior to viewing any properties we were interested in. His day long tour offered us a better idea of the areas & properties we were interested in. We then spent several days viewing our requested sites and also the sites he believed we would be interested in. He found us the perfect condo to purchase and we made the down payment in Jan. It took us until March to complete the purchase of our Pineapple Villa condo. He was with us the entire time = he helped, directed and supported us thru the complete transaction! We were unable to leave Texas in March to attend the closing of our condo purchase, but Dan took care of that too! Our retirement transition from Texas to Roatan was a huge decision - But Dan Horn made the journey a fun and exciting experience! He is still an important part of our move to the island (he is holding our condo keys until we arrive in May 2021)! We found the best realtor on the island and believe we’ve found a great friend too! If you’re looking for property in Roatan - Dan Horn is the BEST!

3 Likes

TJB -We will be in Roatan from May 21 - June 5, any chance we can meet with you and have you introduce us to Dan Horn. Thanks, Sandra

2 Likes

Ty for all that information. I too am relocating from Texas to Roatan hopefully in the next 60 days.

2 Likes

You can contact him directly on Facebook

You won’t regret it! He’s incredible! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi!! Kim here. We are also looking to make them move! Read some not so nice stuff on another thread. Any locals with advice on pros and cons?

1 Like

Hello! We are jumping in this post as well. My wife and I (along with our 11 yr. old son) will be traveling to Roatan next month for our first exploratory trip to Roatan. From all the reading and research we have done, we will likely be relocating to Roatan next July / August. We may be bringing our offshore fishing boat down to start a charter business. Very excited about our upcoming trip!

2 Likes

Hello, my husband & I will be visiting in Nov. to scout out area for relocation, we are also considering expanding our business there. What is the best way to go about getting established? Do we need to hire a lawyer and can we get some recommendations? Thanks so much

2 Likes