How Senior are Roatan Expats

My husband and I are thinking about Roatan as a permanent retirement destination. But in thinking long term - I don’t find much information about: what is the age range of retired expats, do very senior expats stay on the island, is there in home care available? Do seniors eventually leave and return to their county of origin? Thanks for any information. I am not that senior yet but hope to be some day! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HI @1Mockingbird

Here’s some important information that might help you that the community has previously discussed: Hello Expats Roatan! - #3 by RoatanSupport

You can read more about moving to Roatan on our Roatan Tourism Bureau website at the following links: Residency and Visas — Roatan Tourism Bureau ™
Moving to Roatan — Roatan Tourism Bureau ™

1 Like

I would say a lot of people return to their home country.

Quality homecare is lacking.

We retired here two years ago and are having second thoughts. Covid has magnified the shortcomings of the island.

We are looking at southern Portugal that offers so much more and is a first world country. Also, after five years living there you qualify for free healthcare.

1 Like

Thanks for the response! I would love to hear about the other concerns that have become clearer. Not sure how to proceed to hear more.
Again, thanks

2 Likes

I moved here 12 years ago and just turned 65 this month. Its a great island and I enjoy it very much and there are plenty of people here in their senior years at least in their 70’s. That said, I will not remain here if my health gets bad that would require a health assistant or other assisted living conditions because it just doesnt exist here. While the medical community is fine for regular check-ups or routine pharmacy requirements (and cheaper too) the idea that you can acquire a certified practioner in home health care is pretty much nil. Wheelchairs or ambulatory devices are fraught with usability issues never mind acquiring one here. One main paved road and no sidewalks would prevent any safe way to navigate if you needed that. Its not a great idea for senior care.

2 Likes