Living There Questions

Husband & I will be moving to Roatan in the next 6-9 months. I retire end of year, he retires in 6 months. We bought condo near French Harbour several years ago. Visiting & living there are different, of course. So I would like to get recommendations for a vet for our cat? Is Hyde still good for shipping our furniture? Is being an ESL teacher-volunteer basis-a valid occupation? I am also a proposal writer, so is there any need for a grant writer in the community?

1 Like

Due to COVID, the vet doctor that would usually come on Wednesdays in French Harbor has not been here in months so my recommendation is Animal Kingdom with Dr Soto and his associates. I have used him for all my “adopted” kitties and when I had dogs too. ESL is a great skill here and many people would welcome an addition to that crew. Kelly McLarnen from The Language Loft in West End is one such teacher. Caroline Larson who runs Nuna Academy in French Harbor is another great contact. Hyde is very good but personally I use DIP Shipping and they just shipped my furniture from Cleveland to Roatan to my door in Sandy Bay. Hyde you need a truck to hire after it arrives here. Not so sure about grant writers but there are many worthwhile causes and organizations who may need such people. French Harbor is mostly inhabited by the local islanders. You will find many more ex-pats on the western side like Sandy Bay, West End, West Bay. The far East side is also quite a few ex-pats. Also a plethora of restaurants, bars, music is on the west side. Good luck GeckoGal and welcome to Roatan!

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Carol. I appreciate all the suggestions.

1 Like

I am also exploring a move which has been complicated by the pandemic. I just started a non profit project called Regenerative Farms and will be needing proposal writing helpers. Take a look and if our mission is relevant to your experience and interest please be in touch.

2 Likes

Hi Mary,

You have an intriguing project. Although this topic is not my area of expertise, I am a fast learner & know how to research. My previous proposal work included satellites, telecommunications, military defense, data centers, and network operations. So I am used to writing about a variety of topics for various audiences. I am definitely interested in pursuing some kind of part time work when I retire and your farm regeneration proposal would be appropriate.

(Attachment PastedGraphic-2.tiff is missing)

1 Like

Hi Mary,

You have an intriguing project. Although this topic is not my area of expertise, I am a fast learner & know how to research. My previous proposal work included satellites, telecommunications, military defense, data centers, and network operations. So I am used to writing about a variety of topics for various audiences. I am definitely interested in pursuing some kind of part time work when I retire and your farm regeneration proposal would be appropriate.

1 Like

Let’s find some time to connect. Mary@regenerativefarms.org whenever you find you may have some time and would like to explore this further with us.

1 Like